Remote working have gone from being the exception to becoming a major part of the workforce. In fact, the number of people working remotely has increased. With such larger group of employees working remotely, there is a change in remote onboarding of employees. Since we know what onboarding process is now completely people-focused from remote workspace. Desky figured out the best practices of remote onboarding of employees.
Smart brands have changed the orientation of new employees by working with remote employees. They hosts all onboarding materials on a dedicated helpdesk portal. Material like item documentation, step-by-step guide, and a successful support team available via chat. Iqonic Design, one of our premium user sets up remote onboarding process for their customers. Additionally, between the new hires, Desky allows you with manage the remote onboarding of your customer support tactfully.
What is Remote Onboarding
With an eye to adopt the new normal, brands now taking steps to work remotely. The concept of onboarding remotely coins in. It means you onboard employees remotely without having to be in-person. Onboarding employees remotely is challenging than onboarding onsite employees. One of the biggest challenges for companies is communication. When you onboard remotely, let your existing team mentor communicate with the newly onboarded employee.
Strategic Planning For Onboarding Employees Remotely
The way in which we work are in flux due to covid-19. As a result, remote onboarding practices has replaced the traditional ways on onboarding an employee. At Desky, we worked the same challenges and reimagined how flexible helpdesk can solve support team onboarding concerns. Scalable helpdesk can shape the future of work by managing the crucial customer department. Likewise, we summed up 5 tried and true practices to bring clarity on onboarding of employees remotely during this time.
Tried & True Practices For Remote Onboarding Employees
- Connect and communicate
Ensure that new employees feel connected with the team. You can encourage managers to play active role to make communication better. Share the information they might need, details about what their work days will look like. Have a mentor who will manage the onboarding process. This will let the new hire has someone to provide workplace context.
- Highlight remote onboarding goal
Rather than only measuring sales practices, training should focus on products. The core value should be conveyed to them. Also, onboarding remotely will let employees absorb potential values behind a product. The learning process needs to be customer centric and not just sales. Customer service experiences is at the centre and all encompassing department.
- Virtual paperwork
You don’t have to wait for remote employees to come to office. So there will be no stack of forms to fill out. You can share virtual paperwork using online tools like PowerPoint, Google Documents, and so on. Upgrade your Human Resources department to virtualize every single document in a typical new-hire form.
- Setup workspace
This is indeed one of the new practice we will see companies will gear up to. Fine-tune how your remote employees will setup his workspace. A remote employee onboarding process must be flexible and constantly evolving with time and uncertainty. Send your new hires an interactive survey checklist (Google Forms is one free solution) to confirm their needs are met to begin the work.
- Day 1 of your onboarding employees
Let your new hires feel like team. Welcome him/her on day 1. Being part of a team motivates employees. Since remote employees won’t be able to absorb on-site team vibes, however you can still let them know they’re one of you. Send them a work-from-home snackbox or some customized office supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions On Remote Onboarding
- Is remote onboarding employees difficult than on-site onboarding?
- Onboarding remotely is different but not difficult from on-site onboarding. It takes new processes to setup remote workspace. With tools like Google Documents and Drive helps you make it easier. Software like Desky helpdesk + live chat will help you onboard your employees in your customer support team.
- How can I organize a remote onboarding plan in the second half of 2020?
- We believe the best way to organize a remote onboarding process is a checklist format. This helps you to clearly outlines the phases of onboarding. The second half of 2020 needs you to be flexible and adopt technology to stay connected and inline with your goals.
- Can I get competitive advantage by adopting remote onboarding process in my company?
- A successful remote employee onboarding experience usually result in satisfied and engaged remote employees. Employees can build multiple engagement funnels that will maintain the quality and value to your customers.